Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lucia Day


It's Lucia Day, in the old calendar the shortest day of the year. It is a time of reflection and family and saffron flavored "lucikattor" and girls in white linen dresses.

I don't want to sound like Springsteen, but as I get older being around young people - especially young people in all the purity of their idealism - becomes more and more important. To me, that's the message of Lucia. A message of the hope and purity of ideals.

Selma Lagerloff's story carries that message. Girls wandering Clark Street, Chicago, candles in hand, singing the first verse of the Lucia song carry that message. The girls may not mean to carry that message, but they do. So do the kids here in Lindsborg - despite all the ways we've worked to turn this into something it isn't.

The fur coat, the star boys with farm lanterns, and the cider on the lawn are all parts of the Lindsborg tradition I find laughable. But I'm not laughing in derision. It's more of a gentle amusement at what we've made of the tradition - even while the heart of the tradition remains the same. This is about light and hope and new beginnings.

For me the day is also about being at the half-way point.

For the Folkdanslag this represents the half way point of our dance season.

This is my sixteenth year as an adult folk dancer. I met Kris because of folk dancing, and she's been my dance partner for the past 16 years.

I wonder when I'm going to learn the dances we do. Ah well, there's always another midsommar to try to get it right.

No comments: