Thursday, December 11, 2008

Volvo and Saab


We tend to think that the problems we face in America are either unique or at least distinctive in the world. I'm listening to Swedish Radio just now, and they program is all about the problems of Volvo and Saab. Like the American car companies - of which they are divisions these days - the two Swedish auto giants are facing hard times.

If they build better cars that are environmentally friendly they'll get money from the government. Sounds like us.

The problem isn't just quality, however. It's also cost. We just finished paying for the Ford Taurus - and we could never think about having a Volvo or a Saab. I'd love to have one, but they're just too expensive. The Ford was really more than we could afford. I can't even afford to think about a Volvo.

Still, I wish I could help the economy by purchasing a car - American or European - but it's not going to happen.

No comments: